Gabriele D’annunzio called this square “Piazza dei Miracoli” because the composition with the with Cathedral between the Leaning Tower and Baptistery gave a wonderful show.
This Square is an autocelebration of Pisan power after the win with Saraceni on 1064 with which Pisa was permitted to have money to built this grandious project. It is formed with the Leaning Tower (1173), Baptistery (1152), Cathedral (1064), Monumental Cimitery (1277) and new hospital (1257). Seeing all monuments of the square with a critical point of view we can say they express the christian meaning of the man’s life: birth (baptistery), life (cathedral), dead (cimitery). On 1987 this square became one site of UNESCO heritage.