The Leaning Tower
The Famous Leaning Tower was built in 1173 and it has a big mistery around it for the reasons of its stability also because we don’t know who was the architect, if Bonanno or Diotisalvi.
It is a beautiful symbol of Gotich art, the Tower is leaning because the earth under it gave way when the building had arrived at first floor. For this reason the work was stopped, and on 1275 it was started again with Giovanni di Simone and get end on second part of XIV century with Tommaso Pisano.
Seal of San Rossore
The Seal of San Rossore is a part of Migliarino, San Rossore and Massaciuccoli Regional Park, it is one of most important area in Tuscany and Italy.
In the past the coast was to the east side but, after a lot of years with the sea currents and instability of the rivers, born large sand embankments who blocked the water and created the lagoons.
The Leopolda Station born in 1844 like a station of the first railway of Grand Duchy of Tuscany because it created a connection with Florence, Pisa and Livorno, passing by Empoli and Pontedera. The client was Granduke Leopoldo, chief with liberal ideas and supporter for public Works, and his dream was a connection between Florence and Livorno’s Harbour.
Half day trip in Pisa
From Hotel Moderno it’s too easy for guests have opportunity to visit city centre of Pisa in half day trip. Going on the left side to the train station guest can take the road in front of it until the shopping street, Corso Italia.
Cathedral of Pisa
The cathedral was built on 1063 to celebrate the naval win of Pisa against Muslims.The architect was Buscheto and it was consecrated with Gelasio on 1118 and it was magnified on XII century with Rainaldo. It’s very easy to see these two different moments for the unlike the marble use. It is an expression of Pisa’s Romanesque art, the entire body of the structure is crossed by blind arches that divide up rhythmically surfaces; in the shape of the dome, the elliptical, lancet arches, choked by a bulb at the top, is Muslim. The interior has a basilica plan with five naves and transept u deep, the intersection of which rises the dome above. The major works are concentrated in the presbytery and the apse, where you can admire the mosaic of the apse of the 1301-1302 basin and the San Giovanni, the last work of Cimabue. Also of great interest are also the portal of Saint Ranieri, patron of the city, the work of Bonanno Pisano and the pulpit by Giovanni Pisano, carved in 1302-1311, depicting scenes from the New Testament.
Baptistery of Pisa
Inspirational rinaldiana was started in 1152 by Diotisalvi and completed in Gothic style in the XII and XIV century .; It has a circular base and is positioned in front of the Duomo, of which, with the exterior arches, is a decorative and spiritual extension. The dome is covered with red tiles to the sea and lead plates to the east, which has sparked many theories about it, some say that it was a matter of missing money, and who claims to have been made specifically for protect the roof from brackish, since the tiled roof is in its part oriented towards the sea. And ‘the largest baptistery in Italy, its circumference measures 107.24 m, a height of 54.86 m. Inside is the famous pulpit by Nicola Pisano, who performed in 1246 and has become a work amount of fourteenth-century culture. The work has a hexagonal basic structure that has no precedent, supported by six side columns, three of which rest on lions, and with a central carved pedestal with three telamons; has the parapet decorated by five bas relief panels with scenes from the life of Christ.