Historians and geologists believe that the Monti Pisani group is one of the most ancient mountain formations in Italy. Part of the mountains is made up of limestone rocks, a fact that has allowed the formation of cavities which in many cases have become more or less extensive caves. It should be noted that for geological science there is a rock, called Verrucana which took its name from Mount Verruca which is found in the M. Pisani (at the top of which stands the ruins of an ancient castle) and which characterizes it for its presence . Over time many populations have settled in this area and, at the dawn of Christian worship, the area was identified as an ideal place for retreat and prayer. This gave way to the construction of several churches, oratories, parish churches, allowing the development of the main town of Calci, docs the bellsima Certosa was built, which can still be visited. The hydrogeological conformation has allowed the formation of various springs ranging from San Giuliano Terme to Uliveto Terme, allowing the development of these countries made famous for their thermal baths. From one of these springs (that of Asciano) starts the splendid Medici aqueduct, begun at the behest of Cosimo I de ‘Medici and finished by his son Ferdinando at the end of the 1500s and which still arrives in the city of Pisa. Thanks to the countless paths and mule tracks it is possible to make many excursions in the Pisan Mountains: on foot, by bicycle and on horseback, which leave from the most important towns such as Vecchiano, San Giuliano Terme, Asciano, Calci and Uliveto Terme.
Going out from Hotel Moderno you will go on the right and following the roads to Stazione Leopolda. It is one of the first train stations were built in Italy, infact it was built in 1844 for its supporter Granduke Leopoldo of Tuscany. In front of it there is Fortezza Nuovo or Giardino Scotto, it was an old castle to defence Pisa from attack and it born in 1406 by Medici’s Family and it was suffered a restauration for military reasons.
Gabriele D’annunzio called this square “Piazza dei Miracoli” because the composition with the with Cathedral between the Leaning Tower and Baptistery gave a wonderful show.
After Piazza dei Miracoli, this square is the most beautiful and famous square in Pisa. In the antique age it was the centre of the Pisan power and on XVI century, the Power’s heart of Pisa Republic Marine.
The Famous Leaning Tower was built in 1173 and it has a big mistery around it for the reasons of its stability also because we don’t know who was the architect, if Bonanno or Diotisalvi.
It is a beautiful symbol of Gotich art, the Tower is leaning because the earth under it gave way when the building had arrived at first floor. For this reason the work was stopped, and on 1275 it was started again with Giovanni di Simone and get end on second part of XIV century with Tommaso Pisano.
The Seal of San Rossore is a part of Migliarino, San Rossore and Massaciuccoli Regional Park, it is one of most important area in Tuscany and Italy.
In the past the coast was to the east side but, after a lot of years with the sea currents and instability of the rivers, born large sand embankments who blocked the water and created the lagoons.
The Leopolda Station born in 1844 like a station of the first railway of Grand Duchy of Tuscany because it created a connection with Florence, Pisa and Livorno, passing by Empoli and Pontedera. The client was Granduke Leopoldo, chief with liberal ideas and supporter for public Works, and his dream was a connection between Florence and Livorno’s Harbour.
From Hotel Moderno it’s too easy for guests have opportunity to visit city centre of Pisa in half day trip. Going on the left side to the train station guest can take the road in front of it until the shopping street, Corso Italia.
The cathedral was built on 1063 to celebrate the naval win of Pisa against Muslims.The architect was Buscheto and it was consecrated with Gelasio on 1118 and it was magnified on XII century with Rainaldo. It’s very easy to see these two different moments for the unlike the marble use. It is an expression of Pisa’s Romanesque art, the entire body of the structure is crossed by blind arches that divide up rhythmically surfaces; in the shape of the dome, the elliptical, lancet arches, choked by a bulb at the top, is Muslim. The interior has a basilica plan with five naves and transept u deep, the intersection of which rises the dome above. The major works are concentrated in the presbytery and the apse, where you can admire the mosaic of the apse of the 1301-1302 basin and the San Giovanni, the last work of Cimabue. Also of great interest are also the portal of Saint Ranieri, patron of the city, the work of Bonanno Pisano and the pulpit by Giovanni Pisano, carved in 1302-1311, depicting scenes from the New Testament.
Inspirational rinaldiana was started in 1152 by Diotisalvi and completed in Gothic style in the XII and XIV century .; It has a circular base and is positioned in front of the Duomo, of which, with the exterior arches, is a decorative and spiritual extension. The dome is covered with red tiles to the sea and lead plates to the east, which has sparked many theories about it, some say that it was a matter of missing money, and who claims to have been made specifically for protect the roof from brackish, since the tiled roof is in its part oriented towards the sea. And ‘the largest baptistery in Italy, its circumference measures 107.24 m, a height of 54.86 m. Inside is the famous pulpit by Nicola Pisano, who performed in 1246 and has become a work amount of fourteenth-century culture. The work has a hexagonal basic structure that has no precedent, supported by six side columns, three of which rest on lions, and with a central carved pedestal with three telamons; has the parapet decorated by five bas relief panels with scenes from the life of Christ.